North Hinksey, like neighbouring South Hinksey, is 'wedged'
between the busy A34 Oxford bypass and the Hinksey Stream,
one of the several branches of the River Thames that flow
just to the west of the city. Some of the houses in the old
part of the village are attractive with thatched roofs and there is some ribbon
development along North Hinksey Lane (that links the village
with Botley) and the A34.
name of the village is thought to mean 'stallion's isle'
although the village appears to have had several names
since it was originally settled in the Saxon period -
Laurence Hinksey (after the parish church), Ivy Hinksey
and Ferry Hinksey - perhaps to differentiate the village
from nearby South Hinksey. At one time access to and from
west Oxford could be by ferry by way of Ferry Hinksey
Road, off the Botley Road. The ferry ceased to run in
parish church is the Church of St. Lawrence which dates
back to at least the 12th century.
the far side of the A34 is North Hinksey Conduit House
which was a roofed conduit for Oxford's first water mains,
constructed during the early 17th century.
artist and critic John Ruskin, who was fond of riding
out from Oxford, often road to North Hinksey, as he admired
the village's rustic charm. Ruskin noted the poor state
of the village road and, in 1874, he thought of a scheme
which would enable Oxford students "to feel the pleasure
of useful muscular work" as well as improving conditions
for the villagers. He organized a group of undergraduates
to help him to build an improved road, bordered with banks
of flowers, which would link the village with nearby South
Hinksey. There is a blue plaque to this effect on one
of the old thatched cottages.
North Hinksey is about a mile and a half
west of the centre of Oxford just off the A34 Oxford bypass.