Hornton is an attractive little village close to the county boundary with Warwickshire. It is a village of golden brown cottages and houses built in the local ironstone.
In the centre of the village is a small triangular green with pretty thatched cottages on two sides. Near the green is the manor house, built in the early 17th century.
The parish church is the Church of St. John the Baptist, which dates from the 12th century. The church has some 14th century wall paintings including a painting over the chancel arch known as "The Doom", a Pietà and a painting of St. George.
Hornton also has a Methodist church.
Hornton stone, a ferruginous limestone, was quarried in several places near the village and, apart from its use in the building of cottages, houses and churches, etc. in all the nearby villages it was also used in buildings such as St. Paul's Cathedral in London, Canterbury Cathedral and university buildings in Oxford and Cambridge.
Nearby is Edgehill where the first battle of the Civil War was fought in October 1642.
Hornton is about 3 miles north-west of Banbury.