Shenington and Alkerton
The twin dark honey-coloured ironstone hill villages of Shenington and Alkerton are close to the county border with Warwickshire, and separated by the Sor Brook.
Shenington is the larger, and more attractive of the two villages. In the centre is an attractive village green with golden-brown cottages around its edge, and close to the green is the village church, Holy Trinity, which dates from the 12th and 13th century. The Norman arch in the chancel over the organ pipes, originally the chancel arch, is finely ornamented with zigzag and cable mouldings.
The tower dates from 1504 and the clock dates circa 1700.
In the smaller village, Alkerton, St Michael's Church stands on a steep hillside hidden by the Old Rectory and by trees and is approached up some steep steps from the road.
The church dates from 1200 with the oldest part being the lower stages of the bell tower. The church has a late 14th century clerestory and chancel. The chancel was rebuilt in the early 17th century.
Just to the west of Shenington is the former RAF airfield of Edgehill which was used for flight tests of experimental jet aircraft. After the war it was decommissioned from RAF use and became Shenington Airfield. Shenington Gliding Club is based there.
Shenington and Alkerton are about 5 miles north-west of Banbury.