Salford is a small village close to the Gloucestershire border. The name Salford literally means a ford over which salt is carried. Salt would have been transported from salt mines in the Midlands on its way to London.
The Norman Church of St. Mary was almost completely rebuilt in 1854 although a few Norman features survive.
Just outside the village are two spring-fed trout fishing lakes which were created out of the local marshland.
Salford is about a mile and a half west of Chipping Norton along the A44 Chipping Norton to Moreton-in-Marsh road.