is a long, linear village, pleasantly situated between the River
Thames and Bagley Wood. It is thought to have derived
its name from Cenigtun, or the place of Cenas people and
was first mentioned in a charter of AD 821.
the origins of a settlement here can be traced back to
Saxon times, the village today is essentially a modern
one, having been developed through the 20th century and
is now more like a suburb of nearby Oxford. Despite that
there are a few thatched cottages in the centre of the
village near St. Swithun's, the parish church which give
the village a little character.
from St. Swithun's Church there are two other small churches
in the village - a Methodist church and the Roman Catholic
Church of the Good Shepherd. The present St Swithun's
was built in the mid 20th century and replaced the nearby
original parish church. This was built in 1828 in the
style of a Norman building, and is now the Church Hall.
is a couple of miles south of Oxford,
just south of the Southern Bypass.