villages have more than one church, the Church of England
parish church being one of them. Usually other churches
in the village are of a denomination other than C of E.
Hatfield is unusual however because, although it is a tiny village, it appears to have
two parish churches.
On closer inspection it becomes apparent
that one of them - the newer one with the tower - is actually
now a private residence! Originally known as Holy Trinity,
this former church was erected in 1873/4 when St. George's
fell into disrepair. Holy Trinity Church itself became
dilapidated and was finally deconsecrated in 1972.
George's Church is next to the manor house and stands
on the site of the Saxon church mentioned in Domesday.
The church is Early English with a Norman south doorway
to nave and chancel arch and a Norman font, and one Saxon
window is still visible.
is evidence of Iron Age and Bronze Age occupation in the
area and at least one Roman villa is thought to have been
in the fields adjoining the present village.
is about three miles south-east of Faringdon on the B4508.