(the slope of a man called Ceonna) is a large village, the older part of which
appears to be mainly around the four roads Station
Road, Church Road, High Street and Lower Road. However the village
has now grown considerably, especially to the west.
Andrew's Church is the mostly 14th century parish church. Parts
of St. Andrew's go back to the 12th and 13th centuries
and the wooden screen is reputed to be the sixth oldest
well as the parish church there is also a Congregational
church and a Methodist church.
based in and around Chinnor have included lacemaking,
chair-making and agriculture and, until 1999, a cement
works whose tall chimney was a well-known local landmark.
Reading Rooms in the High Street were originally built
in 1878 as an alternative centre for the men of the parish
to read or play billiards. In the 1920s it was changed
to a public hall and women were allowed to use it!
above the village on Chinnor Hill is Chinnor
Hill Nature Reserve run by the Berkshire,
Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trust.
is the terminus of the Chinnor
& Princes Risborough Railway, a heritage line
which forms part of the old Great Western Railway line
between Watlington and Princes Risborough. The line was
closed to passengers by BR in 1957. The section between
Chinnor and Princes Risborough then carried a freight-only
service until 1990.
Parts of Chinnor, including the
railway station, have been used as locations in the
popular TV series Midsomer Murders.
is at the base of the Chiltern Hills approximately four miles
south of Thame on the B4009.