Kingston Blount and Crowell
Blount and Crowell are spring-line villages at the foot
of the Chiltern Hills. At Kingston Blount although there are a
few cottages on the main road, also the village pub, much
of the village is actually off the main road. The name
of the village is derived from an estate or manor belonging
to the king with the manorial affix of the Le Blund family
in the 13th century.
the 19th century Kingston Blount had a number of pubs,
a draper, grocers, wine merchants, a smithy, corn merchant,
butcher, baker, post office and a school and was considered
to be a large and respectable town. Now, like in many
villages, the shops have all closed and there now remains
just one pub.
is a tiny village just outside Kingston Blount. The name is thought to be derived from a well
or spring where crows gather! Unlike Kingston Blount,
and despite being such a tiny village, Crowell has a parish
church - The church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin
Mary. Although largely reconstructed in about 1880, parts
of the church date from the 13th century.
Blount and Crowell are a mile or so south-west of Chinnor on the B4009.