Baldwin & Britwell Salome
Baldwin is an attractive little village of stone cottages and
is dominated by the Church of St. Bartholomew's which
sits high above the road opposite the Lord Nelson public
house. The village name is a derivation of a bright spring
and the name of a C14 lord of the manor, Sir Baldwin de
the north side of Brightwell Baldwin is Brightwell Park. The
original house is now ruined and the house that remains
is the former servants' quarters.
Scenes from several
episodes of the popular TV series Midsomer Murders have been filmed in Brightwell Baldwin.
Salome is at the foot of the steep slope of the Chilterns and it appears to be little more than a few houses, a pub
and a farm and it actually is a very small village. Off
the main road however, on either side, are more houses,
the main, and older, part of the village being to the
south with a few newish houses to the north.
the north-east of the village, next to the site of Britwell
Priory and down a short lane, is the parish church of
St Nicholas which dates from the 13th century. On the
site of Britwell Priory there is now an C18 farmhouse.
Adjacent to the church is the Old Rectory which dates
from the 17th century.
the south west of the village is the early Georgian Britwell
Salome House with its extensive grounds which include
a limestone column which was built in 1764 as a monument.
the village a straight lane leads up the steep scarp slope
of the Chilterns to Britwell Hill and allows a superb
view out over the Oxfordshire countryside.
Like in Brightwell Baldwin, a scene from Midsomer Murders has been filmed in the village.
Baldwin is about three quarters of a mile west of Cuxham on the road from Cuxham to Benson or Ewelme.
about a mile south-west of Watlington along the B4009.