Newington, Berrick Salome and Roke
is a very small village and there is not a lot to see
apart from the impressive 17th century manor house
which can easily be seen through the impressive wrought
iron gates. Next to the manor house is St. Giles's Church
which has an octaganol spire on top of the tower.
Newington and Stadhampton is Newington
Nurseries, plant experts and Chelsea Gold Medalist
garden designers specialising in the unusual and exotic
is about a mile south of Stadhampton on the A329 from Wallingford.
2 miles south-east of Newington are the tiny village of
Berrick Salome and the even smaller Berrick Prior. The
word "Berewic" means "corn farm", whereas "Salome" is
a corruption of a family name. Aymar de Sulham having
held the manor in the 13th century. Berrick Prior was
at one time part of the parish of Newington, and the name
means the corn farm belonging to the Prior of Canterbury.
little St. Helen's Church, which stands alone down a short
lane, is an interesting looking medieval church with a
wooden bell tower. St Helen has been described as the
favourite saint of King Ethelbald of Mercia who took the
Benson area from Wessex early in the 8th century, so a
church was probably established at Berrick long before
the Conquest. The attractive vaulted roof dates from 1615,
and the wooden gallery dates from 1676.
mile or so south-east of Berrick Salome, and a mile or
so north of Benson, is the hamlet of Roke and the nearby
smaller hamlet of Rokemarsh.