Kingham is a pleasant Cotswolds village in the heart of the Evenlode valley which, in 2004, a Country Life panel judged to be "England's Favourite Village". Not only that but, after assessing more than 100 popular villages, the Daily Telegraph decided that Kingham topped the list as the best village of them all! So the village must be worth a visit.
The main road through the village, Church Street, has an attractive mix of houses and cottages, a village shop and a couple of pubs. At the north end of the village is a large green surrounded by stone & thatched cottages and at the other end is the village church, St. Andrew's.
Although there has been a church on the site of St. Andrew's Church for at least 900 years the present building is a mixture of ages. Whilst the tower is 15th century, and the nave roof is dated 1774, the rest of the church was remodelled in 1851-3. The font is 13th century.
Since 1976 Kingham has hosted a popular annual 12 or 10km race and since it was started over 200 runners have taken part. The race raises funds for the local primary school in the village.
Kingham is about 4 miles south-west of Chipping Norton, and a short distance from Oxfordshire's border with Gloucestershire.