Kingston Bagpuize and Southmoor
Kingston Bagpuize and its neighbour, Southmoor are along a stretch of the former A420 trunk road, which now bypasses the villages. Now combined, the villages were originally two separate villages. The area now known as
Southmoor, originally known as Draicote, was part of the
parish of Longworth and was then the township of Draycott
map of 1761 shows Kingston Bagpuize to have been centred
on Kingston House and there were two village streets on
either side of the house, whereas Southmoor was centred
on the Town Pond area of the village. The two villages
were connected by two footpaths.
original Saxon name for Kingston was Cingestun and Bagpuize
is thought to be derived from the Norman lord of the manor,
Ralph de Bachepuise, who was granted one of the manors
of Cingestun after the conquest.
House, a Charles II manor house set in mature parkland,
is on the Abingdon side of the village. The house was
originally built between 1660 and 1670 and was probably
remodelled from the ground floor up in the 1720s. Until
1865 the house was approached down an avenue from the
east side with entrance gates and a screen where the ha-ha
now is. In 1865 the gates were moved to their present
position, near the church.
parish church, the Church St. John the Baptist, stands
next to Kingston House. The first church was built on
the site shortly after the conquest (between about 1076-1099).
The church was built jointly by Ralf de Bachepuise and
the Lord of the other Kingston Manor, Adelelm and was
consecrated by Osmund, Bishop of Salisbury. The church
was largely rebuilt in the early 18th century in the same
style but in 1799 it was demolished and rebuilt again,
this time modelled on a church in the Apennines in Italy.
Southmoor there is a Methodist church.
Bagpuize and Southmoor are five miles west of Abingdon just off the A420 near the intersection with the A415 Abingdon to Witney