Hinton Waldrist was at one time a
market town but now it is just a
small village on
a quiet lane that runs parallel with the busy A420 Oxford
to Swindon road. About a mile and a half north of the
village is the River Thames.
village has its origins in Saxon times but the suffix
Waldrist is a corruption of the Latin name Walericus,
the name of the family that held one of the two local
estates, the St. Valory family. In Roman times there was
a fort here which defended the ford at Duxford.
St. Valorys were cousins of William the Conqueror and
they built a motte and bailey castle on the site of what
is now Hinton Manor. The wooden castle was rebuilt in
stone in medieval times when it came into the hands of
the Bohun Earls of Hereford. Little now remains of this
building, but the moat is still visible in the grounds
of the manor. The moat is more than half full.
Norman times when Hinton Waldrist was the centre of a
vast estate known as the Honour of St. Valory the church
must have been an important one. The present church, St.
Margaret's, still stands just outside the old moat and mostly dates from the late 13th century,
the tower perhaps being slightly earlier (c.1240). The
building was heavily restored in Victorian times.
Hinton Waldrist is about six miles east of Faringdon.