Despite being on a busy road, Horspath is an attractive village which spreads up the side of Shotover Hill. Shotover Hill was once part of the medieval Royal
Forest of Shotover and is now a country park, Shotover
Country Park, run by Oxford City Council.
At the foot of the hill in the centre of the village is a small green, and nearby is the parish church of St. Giles which dates from the 12th century. St. Giles Church is dedicated to
the patron saint of beggars and cripples.
A little futher up the hill is the mainly 17th
century manor house, part of which is said to date from 1513. The house has a 19th century addition and has a Tudor staircase.
In the centre of the village is Horspath Chapel, a Methodist Chapel which has monthly church services.
name originated from the old bridle path joining the London Road through
the neighbouring village of Wheatley gave the village the Anglo-Saxon
name of "Horsepadan".
was once served by the Oxford to Princes Risborough railway, but the railway
was axed in the early 1960s. A section of the old track which runs through
the village was purchased in 1982 by Horspath Parish Council and is now
managed as a nature reserve.
Horspath is just a mile to the east of the Oxford City boundary, the
eastern ring road and the BMW car factory. It is about a mile and a half
south west of the larger village of Wheatley and a similar distance north-west of Garsington.