is a small hill-top village lying on part of the Midvale
Ridge, one of several hill-top villages in this part of
centre of the village is a small triangle of roads, the
oldest of which is the High Street. Here is the parish
church of All Saints, built in about 1180 over the foundations
of an earlier 12th-century church. The church originally
had only a single nave and the side aisles were added
in 1240. Further alterations were carried out in the 14th
century when the roofs of the aisles were raised, the
the south porch added and the chancel rebuilt.
village is well-known as the home of Ripon
College, an Anglican theological training college.
The principal of Ripon College is also vicar of the parish
and over the years practically all who have held this
post have become bishops, notably the former Archbishop
of Canterbury, Dr Runcie, who held the post between 1960/69.
After his retirement in 1991, Robert Runcie took the title
Baron Runcie of Cuddesdon. The Old Palace at Cuddesdon
used to be the official home of the Bishops of Oxford
but was burned to the ground in the mid-20th century.
Cuddesdon is some 6 miles south-east of Oxford lying
between the B480 Oxford to Watlington road and the A40.