Standlake and Brighthampton
Standlake is in the area of flat flood plain between the River thames and the higher ground to the north and is an attractive mixture of cottages and more modern houses and with a couple of pubs.
Most through traffic passes along the A415, Abingdon Road so the village centre is relatively quiet. Like many villages, most of Standlake lies off the main road and therefore drivers often miss the most attractive part of the village which is centred on High Street and Church End.
The name Standlake means 'stony stream' which reflects the village's low-lying position among a network of rivers and streams. The River Windrush is on the edge of the village, and surrounding the village are numerous gravel pits, many now used for fishing and aquatic sports such as windsurfing. Because the the Windrush and smaller streams are so close to the village Standlake has a history of flooding and, according to British History Online, in the 18th century the village was described as 'situate upon a damn'd standing puddle, long, deep and dirty'.
On the northern edge of Standlake is St. Giles Church, dating from the latter part of the 12th century. The church was enlarged in the 13th and 14th centuries and underwent further alterations in about 1500. Near the church, on the River Windrush, is Church Mill which dates from at least the 13th century. It was disused by 1911 but was repaired in the 1920s and then generated electricity until 1968. During the Second World War it again undertook some corn milling. The mill was again restored early in the 1980s and in 2006 was known to be still in working order.
About half a mile to the northwest of Standlake is the hamlet of Brighthampton. Nowadays it is difficult to define where Standlake ends and Brighthampton begins as the road appears to be built up all the way along.
Just to the north of Brighthampton is Standlake Arena where banger race meetings are held on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays.
Standlake is on the A415 Witney to Abingdon road, about 5 miles south-east of Witney.