The name 'Hailey' means a clearing (in the forest of Wychwood) where hay was made. The main part of the village, Middletown, spreads along the main road. It has some rather austere cottages, many with no front gardens, and can hardly be described as pretty. However the approach to the village from the south is softened with attractive grassed areas plants with daffodils in the spring.
Just north of Middletown is the hamlet of Delly End, whilst the third hamlet of the village, Poffley End, is just to the east. Both Delly End and Poffley End are pretty little hamlets.
The present village church, the Church of St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1869 and replaced an earlier (18th century church. It has a strangely-shaped bell-turret. The font, sited in the north aisle, is from the earlier Georgian parish church.
Hailey is about 2 miles north of Witney on the B4022 Witney to Charlbury road.