Alvescot and Black Bourton
The parish church at Alvescot, St. Peter's, is on the edge of the village up a short lane and is pleasantly surrounded by trees. St. Peter's is in the Early English and Perpendicular style, consisting of a nave, 14th century porch, transepts, north and south chapels, and 15th century embattled tower.
Black Bourton was originally on the route from Clanfield to Burford through Carterton. However the road now stops abruptly at the edge of the Brize Norton airfield.
Black Bourton's parish church is the Church of St Mary the Virgin and is considered a significant medieval church. Its earliest features are Norman including the chancel, font and carved stone pulpit - the priest’s door may be even earlier, possibly Saxon. When St. Mary's was restored in 1866 wall paintings of the stoning of Stephen, the coronation of the Virgin, the adoration of the Magi and the baptism of christ were uncovered. However, against the vicar’s wishes, they were again whitewashed and were not finally uncovered until 1932.
The large churchyard of St. Mary's contains 37 Commonwealth war graves, the resting place of airmen from Brize Norton and other Commonwealth servicemen during the second world war.
Along the road towards Alvescot are some impressive stone villas and an old primitive Methodist chapel.
Alvescot is on the B4020 between Black Bourton and Filkins just south of the town of Carterton and the Brize Norton RAF airfield. Black Bourton is just over a mile north of Clanfield.