is one of the villages along the spring-line at the foot of the Berkshire Downs and, as is often the case though, the main road skirts along the edge of the village so to see Upton you have to leave the
Upton is a small village of approximately 170 houses.
Unfortunately a serious fire in 1933 destroyed a number of the historic
houses and farms in the centre of Upton and consequently
many of the existing houses there were built in the 20th century.
At one time the village had its own railway station on the Didcot to Newbury line. The line was closed
in 1964, and the remaining railway embankment now serves
as a cycle track to Didcot.
The small parish church of St. Mary's dates from the eleventh
or twelfth centuries, and though a major restoration took
place in 1885, the church has not changed much in almost
a millennium. There is also a Methodist chapel and a Pub,
the George and Dragon.
Upton also has a village hall and children’s playground,
both sited within a large recreation ground. On the small
village green stands a memorial Chestnut tree.
On the edge of the village is an organic cider orchard
where the Upton Cider Company grows, makes and sells its
is approximately half way between Goring-on-Thames and Wantage along the A417.