is a large Vale village with a wide main street lined with pollarded trees.
There are a number of shops, restaurants, etc., evidence
of Shrivenham's past as a small market town. In and around
the main street are many thatched cottages and stone walls.
The ancient village pump, which is in the main street,
has an interesting rustic and slate roof.
is known to have been a human settlement at Shrivenham
from at least 400 bc and the remains of a Roman villa
have been uncovered nearby.There
is also evidence of earlier habitation with late Neolithic
and early Bronze Age implements having been found nearby.
are three churches in the village, St. Andrew's (Church
of England), St Patrick's (Roman Catholic) and Shrivenham
Methodist Church. St. Andrew's Church is approached through
a lychgate and an avenue of trees. Parts of St. Andrew's
Church date back to the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries,
but most only dates from the 1700s.
village hall, opened by Princess Beatrice in 1925 as a
war memorial, is reputed to be one of the finest in the
country. The oak hammerbeam construction roof is covered
in Cotswold stone.
Beckett Estate, formerly the home of the Barrington family,
is to the east of the village between Shrivenham and Watchfield.
This is now the home of the Defence College of Management
and Technology, which is part of the Defence Academy of
the United Kingdom.
the south of the village is the route of the old Wiltshire
and Berkshire Canal which was once important to the
village for local trade. The canal was superceded in importance
by the Great West Railway which was built in 1840. The
village is no longer served by the railway and the station
is just south of the A420 Oxford to Swindon road about 5 miles south-west of Faringdon and about 6 miles north-east of Swindon.