Longcot is a village of 500 or so residents, centred around the small triangular Green with an ancient slate-roofed pump.

Longcot is an attractively interesting mix of old and 20th century houses and cottages. For most of its history the village was an agricultural community, but the construction of the Wilts and Berks Canal and Longcot Wharf in early 19th Century led to an increase in the population. Longcot Wharf was the busiest wharf on this section of the canal, due to its proximity to Faringdon. The arrival of the Great Western Railway in 1841 led to a decline in commercial traffic on the canal and this ceased completely in 1902.

The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, at the edge of the village on the Fernham road, was constructed in the 13th Century, but most of the the windows are later. For the history and full information about St. Mary's Church click here.

The well-known prehistoric hill figure, the Uffington White Horse can be seen from parts of the village. This is carved into the hillside above the nearby village of Woolstone and can be seen from miles around, with the best views probably from the London to Bristol railway line which runs to the south of the village. Uffington White Horse is by far the oldest of all Britain's hillside white horse figures and there have been many theories about its origin. These theories and the and many myths about the White Horse and its surrounding landscape are explored on David Nash Ford's Royal Berkshire History.

The King and Queen, the village pub on the edge of the village, was closed at the time of my visit. Anyone want to take it on?

Longcot is south of the A420 and east of Watchfield along the B4508, the Fernham road.


(Click to view)

Longcot 1
Longcot 2
Longcot 3
Longcot 4
Longcot 5



If there is no link to your village website on this page why not request one?

Could you provide a reciprocal link?
Please click here


Bookmark and Share