Buscot is an attractive little Thames-side village very close to the county border with
Gloucestershire. Most of this tiny village is along a
short cul-de-sac that leads from the ancient village hall
to Buscot Lock on the River Thames.
Whereas many villages seem deserted during the day, Buscot
is often busy with visitors to the lock and picnic site
beside the river, or taking advantage of the tea room
attached to the village shop. Buscot is part of the National
and Coleshill Estates and many of the houses in the
village are owned by the National Trust.
At the entrance to the village there is a village hall
with a clock tower and a covered well with a standpipe
and working tap.
A short distance along the road towards Faringdon is Buscot
Park, an 18th century country house and estate belonging
to the National Trust. The contents of the house - paintings,
furniture and objets d'art are known as the "Faringdon
Collection" and are owned by the Faringdon Collection
Trust. The house is occupied and managed by the present
Lord Faringdon. Buscot Park is also well-known for its
water garden and the Four Seasons Walled Garden which
was created by the present Lord Faringdon.
At "Brandy Island" just upstream from Buscot
lock is the site of a factory set up in 1869 to distil
spirit alcohol from sugar beet. On the island there was
also a mill for the manufacture of oil cake, a gas works,
an artificial fertiliser works and vitriol works, the
latter two using the by-products of the gas works. The
factory was short-lived and closed in 1879.
The parish church, St. Mary's, a short distance downstream
from the lock and reached along a pleasant footpath, has
some attractive stained glass windows by William Morris,
whose summer residence was Kelmscot Manor a short distance
away on the other side of the river.
Buscot is about 2 miles east of Letchlade along the A417.