Nuffield is a small village in the heart of the Oxfordshire Chilterns. It is at one of the highest points in the southern Chilterns.
There are a number of listed buildings in and around the
village but the only two actually in the village are the
Church of the Holy Trinity and The Crown public house.
Trinity Church dates from the C12 and has a C14 north
aisle and other alterations. The chancel was restored
The Crown public house is probably late C17.
has an attractive common which is home to a golf club.
the north side of the Wallingford
to Henly road is Nuffield
former home of William Morris, Lord Nuffield, and now in the ownership of the National Trust. Built
in 1914, Nuffield Place is a good example of a
complete, upper-middle class home of the 1930s. It contains
an interesting collection of Nuffield memorabilia and
is furnished and equipped precisely as it was when Lord
Nuffield died in 1963. Lady
Nuffield’s chief interest was the
1930s-style gardens which were laid out
just after the first war and were
They contain mature shrubs,
specimen trees, lawns,
brick and stone walls, an orchard, vegetable garden, ornamental
pond and some statuary. The grounds continue into
Park Wood, secondary mature woodland full of bluebells
Nuffield Place is open to the public Wednesday-Sunday from the week before Easter until the end of October. For further information:
Near Nuffield Place is a prison which was formerly a young offenders institution.
Nuffield is half a mile south of the A4130
Wallingford to Henly road, about two miles west of Nettlebed.