Heath is just over a mile from the River Thames, almost
on the county boundary. At the centre of the crossroads stands
a fine chestnut tree, which is a well known rendezvous. Most of the houses in Binfield Heath are near the two village shops and
At the end of Kiln Lane are some timber houses donated
by Sweden at the end of the Second World War to ease the
Binfield Heath has no church of its own, although there
is a mock-Gothic styled Congregational chapel which was
built in 1835.
The village has seen many changes over the years, for
example the loss of some of the village ponds and the
brickworks. There used to be several ponds in the area
but some have now been filled in. These were used for
watering horses and for traction engines used on the farms.
There used to be two brick kilns in the village. One was
believed to date back to 1817 and it closed between 1903
and 1907. Nearby on January 26th 1955 there was a large
explosion as the bottom fell out of a pond taking with
it four large trees! There were various estimates of the
depth of the hole ranging from 100—150 feet. The other
kiln closed in 1935. The village bakehouse too has been
lost, together with the smithy which used to stand next
to the chestnut tree.
There are a total of eight listed buildings in the village
including the Bottle and Glass public house, various cottages
and some barns.
An interesting feature of Binfield Heath is the unusual
covered well, called Keeps Well. This has recently been
completely rebuilt exactly as before as the original was
completely demolished a few years ago in a motoring accident.
Next to the well one of the village ponds has been restored too and this is known as Green Pond.
This area of the village was formerly known as Shiplake
Heath is midway between Henley-on-Thames
and Caversham and can be reached from those towns on minor
roads. It can also be reached by minor road from Sonning
Common and Lower Shiplake.